Maness Veterinary Services

522 SW 27th Place
Newcastle, OK 73065


     grapes                 Grapes and Raisins               grapes

Some types of grapes and raisins have been shown to cause kidney failure in dogs when eaten in quantity.10,11 The basis for kidney failure following consumption of grapes or raisins is unclear, but is currently being studied in the veterinary community. The amount of grapes or raisins that may cause renal failure is not exactly known, so any amount could potentially be dangerous.

As for treatment of recent ingestion, inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal is recommended.10,11 This should be followed with fluid diuresis for 48 hours.10,11 During this time the patient should be monitored for azotemia.10,11 If the animal shows evidence of renal failure, fluids and supportive care should be continued.

A more comprehensive review of this topic can be found in the Grape-and-Raisin Toxicity FAQ.