- Home Page
- About Us
- Pet Library
- Links and Information
- Tips & Precautions
- Bowtie Ranch and Alpaca Farm
- Contact Us
- Site Map
'Tis the season to be jolly, and for pets to get into things they shouldn't.
Pet owners are often tempted to give table scraps to their pets as a special treat. This seems to be especially true during holidays, such as Easter, Passover, and Fourth of July, as pet owners often include pets in their holiday celebration. Unfortunately, there are some types of human foods that can be dangerous toxic to pets. It is very important that veterinarians and their staff are aware of the possible problems associated with feeding pets the following foods and what to do about them. Help prevent your pet from having a life threatening crisis.
1. Schell MM. Tremorgenic Mycotoxin Intoxication. Vet Med 200;95:285-286
2. Young KL, Villar D, Carson TL, Imerman PM, Moore RA, Bottoff MR. Tremorgenic Mycotoxin Intoxication with Penitrem A and Roquefortine in Two Dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003;222:52-53
3. Gwaltney-Brant S. Chocolate Intoxication. Vet Med 2001;96:108-111
4. Cheeke PR: Natural Toxicants in Feeds, Forages, and Poisonous Plants, ed 2, Danville, IL Interstate Publishers, 1998.
5. Cope RB. Allium species Poisoning in Dogs and Cats. Vet Med 2005;100:562-566
6. Robertson JE, Christopher MM, Rogers QR. Heinz Body Formation In Cats Fed Baby Food Containing Onion Powder. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1998;212:1260-1266
7. Hansen SR. Macadamia Nut Toxicosis in Dogs. Vet Med 2002;97:274-276
8. Hansen SR, Buck WB, Meerdink G, Khan SA. Weakness, tremors, and depression associated with macadamia nuts in dogs. Vet Hum Toxicol 2000;42:18-21
9. Means C. Bread Dough Toxicosis in Dogs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2003;13:39-41
10. Porterpan B. Raisins and Grapes: Potentially Lethal Treats for Dogs. Vet Med 2005;100:346-350
11. Gwaltney-Brant S, Holding JK, Donaldson CW, Eubig PA, Khan SA. Renal Failure Associated with Ingestion of Grapes or Raisins in Dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2001;218:1555-1556
12. Hackendahl NC. The Dangers of Nicotine Ingestion in Dogs. Vet Med 2004;99:218-224